This warning is set in place to prevent NI Update Service to automatically download and install software that you might not be able to activate. To activate a software upgraded to a new version, e.g. from LabVIEW 2018 to 2019, an appropriate license is needed, such as an active software subscription license or a valid service agreement. Patches, updates, and driver updated do normally not require re-activation or any license. In case you install a software upgrade and do not have a suited license, you can only use the software in evaluation mode.
If you are unsure whether you (still) have an active license, contact NI Support
and ask about the current status of your license.
You can get rid of the warning message by performing one of the following methods: If you are using a single-seat license:
If you are using an NI Volume License or Enterprise Agreement:
- Open NI License Manager.
- Right-click the product and select Deactivate.
- Select the software again and click Activate at the top of the window.
- Once you see the serial number listed in NI License Manager, you can proceed with the software upgrade.
- Open NI Update Service.
- Navigate to File » Preferences.
- Check Unlock updates for which service is expired.
- Confirm the warning dialog afterwards, and click OK.
- The lock icon(s) should have vanished now, NI Update Service now allows the installation of all software:
- After downloading and installing the software, it will automatically activate through your Volume License Server.