There is no official guideline on migrating LabWindows™/CVI™ code to a newer version. This is because it involves the usage of text based coding only, so it is a much simpler migration process than other NI software.
However, there are some important considerations to make if you need to skip several versions of LabWindows™/CVI™. These are:
1. Ensure that the software version is compatible with the OS version.
2. Check that your hardware is still supported in the newer version of the software.
- Review the Readme document for the hardware's driver to check version compatibility.
- You may need to update the driver.
3. Check if 3rd party DLLs or code being used in the CVI project is supported in the OS version. When upgrading from older versions of LabWindows/CVI you might need to use a newer version of a 3rd party DLL that might have deprecated functions or features, thus you will need to make modifications to the code to prevent any errors related to 3rd party software.
4. Read through the LabWindows™/CVI™ release notes
for any significant changes that may affect the ability to use your code.
- Note that when skipping across multiple versions of LabWindows™/CVI™, it is possible that some functions have been phased out over time.