Configuring the NI ELVIS III Device
In this section we will install the software needed to communicate to the NI ELVIS III.
- Install the NI Measurement Live Support Files
- Connect the NI ELVIS III to the Internet using the Ethernet Port or Wifi so that the Python libraries can be installed from the Internet.
- Enable the Secure Shell Server on the NI ELVIS III
- Open Internet Explorer and visit the NI ELVIS III Configuration website: <IP Address of the NI ELVIS III>/WIF.html
Note: The IP Address can be found on the display of the NI ELVIS III. Press BUTTON 0 until the IP address appears. Enter the IP address from the display.
- Navigate to the Home tab at the left of the page if not already there
- Enable the Secure Shell Server (sshd) checkbox in the Startup Settings section.
- Click Save
4. Set up Time Configuration on the NI ELVIS III configuration website
- Click on the tab at the left of the page.
- Configure the Date, Current time, and Time Zone to your current local time.
- Click Save
- Restart the device
Installing Prerequisite Python Software for NI ELVIS III
- Install and open your favorite SSH client. If you do not have one, we recommend External Link: PuTTY
- Host Name: <The IP Address found at the top of the NI ELVIS III on the Display.>
- Port: 22
- Connection Type: SSH
- Click the Open button. Note: Sometimes the SSH client will alert a Potential Security Breach due to a key mismatch. Simply click Yes to proceed the change it detected is expected.
Once the connection opens Log In as:
- Username: admin
- Password: <blank> (Just hit enter, there is no password by default)
- Run the following Commands
opkg install python
opkg install python-pip
pip install nifpga
pip install pyvisa
Installing NI ELVIS III Python Examples
Open PuTTY, connect to NI ELVIS III as done in the previous step, and install git on the NI ELVIS III by running the following command:
opkg install git
Download the NI ELVIS III Python helper livrary and Python Examples from GitHub by running the following command
git clone https://github.com/ni/NI-ELVIS-III-Python-Examples.git
NI ELVIS III Python examples can now be found in the /home/admin directory on NI ELVIS III
(Option 2) Installing NI ELVIS III Python Examples from a ZIP file
Prefer to download a ZIP of the NI ELVIS III Python examples and move it using SFTP to the NI ELVIS? Follow this link for instructions.
Running the Python Examples
- Open a PuTTY session to the NI ELVIS III and change the directory to the NI ELVIS III Python examples:
- Run an example by typing the following command:
Where <example_category> is the category of example such as Analog, Bus, Digital, or Interrupt and the <example_filename> is the name of the specific example. For example:
The examples available for NI ELVIS in Python include:
AIIRQ (Analog Interrupt)
ButtonIRQ (Button Interrupt)
DIIRQ (Digital Interrupt)
TimerIRQ (Timer Interrupt)