To find and modify the names of the devices connected to a specific computer, you can:
- To do so manually:
- Open Measurement & Automation Explorer (NI-MAX).
- Expand My System >> Devices and Interfaces where the devices are listed.
- Right-click the device you want to rename and select Rename.
- If using the right hand window Name open textfield instead, make sure to Save after changing the name.
- You can also do this programmatically. Refer to the Related link section for examples of doing this.
These device names/aliases need to be unique, as they act as the reference for NI software tools and drivers. Duplicate names will cause a red X next to both devices in NI-MAX and they are not usable until resolved.
NI-MAX will remember the module name on a specific slot of a specific chassis. If you move the module to a different location in the same chassis or a different chassis, you will need to rename it once more. The same happens if you insert a module on a previously named slot.