By default, when running VBAI on a Real-Time target, such as an NI Industrial Controller or Compact Vision System, VBAI uses a default FPGA profile to give the user access to the I/O pins on their device using the Vision RIO steps. In order to do this, VBAI opens a reference to the FPGA. In order to run a custom FPGA VI, you must configure VBAI to allow other functions to access the FPGA:
- Open a VBAI inspection in configuration mode on your Real-Time target.
- Go to the Communicate tab in the functions palette.
- Click on Read/Write I/O (Vision RIO) to configure a new Vision RIO step.
- In the step configuration, click Configure.
- In the Vision RIO Device Configuration window, choose the option Available for other functionality and click OK.
- Once you have configured this, you can cancel the Read/Write I/O (Vision RIO) step.
- In order for this change to go into effect, restart your Real-Time controller.
You should now be able to add a Run LabVIEW VI step that calls a VI that opens an FPGA reference.