The C Series CANopen modules require a specific configuration to be deployed to the FPGA in order for the cRIO and MAX to access it.
- Ensure all of the proper software is installed:
- On the host computer: LabVIEW, LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, NI CompactRIO Device Drivers, NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen in following order.
- On the cRIO: NI-CANopen; A detailed instruction can be found in: Install NI Software on Your CompactRIO Controller.
- Specifying the Controller and FPGA Settings to Locate the NI 9881 Module:
- If you are using cRIO-903x/904x/905x/906x, go to step 3. Otherwise, navigate to the labview\examples\NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen\Utility\Module Firmware Tool\subVIs directory and launch the CANopen cRIO FPGA Compile Instructions VI file. Follow the instructions on the front panel.
- Running a VI to Update the Firmware:
- If using a cRIO 904X/905X, please follow this link to know how to update the firmware. If not, continue with the following steps.
- Launch CANopen Module Firmware Update.lvproj from the labview\examples\NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen\Utility\Module Firmware Tool directory and add the controller, which has NI 9881 installed on Slot 2, to the LabVIEW project.
- Add the NI 9881 module to the Real-Time resources of the Chassis. Select an option to add New target or device and choose C Series Module. Choose NI 9881 and Location Slot 2.
- Deploy the setting of the Chassis.
- Add the Module Firmware Update VI in the labview\examples\NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen\Utility\Module Firmware Tool directory to the controller. Don't add this VI on the level of Host, neither FPGA. Follow the instructions on the front panel of the Module Firmware Update VI to update the firmware.
Please ensure you are have downloaded the correct corresponding version of the NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen for the Firmware version you wish to install. For example if you wish to install the 2016 version of the Firmware you must ensure that you have the 2016 version of the NI-Industrial Communications for CANopen driver.
Make sure to use the right Controller when updating the firmware. Some controllers have to be set to Scan Engine, while others need to be set to FPGA Target.
The module cannot be installed with the MAX, as the MAX doesn't have a connection to the module.