This issue has been known to occur on Windows 10 systems updated to version 1809 (the September 2018 update) that use a certain subset of all "Regional format
" of the form English (<My Country>)
. Microsoft has published an update to Windows 10 version 1809 in KB4482887
that resolves the error. The same issue occurs in Windows 10 version 1903 (released in August 2019) and 20H2 (released in October 2020), though as no update to Windows that resolves the error has been published, please follow the steps below.
To determine what version of Windows 10 you are running, type "winver.exe" into the Windows Start Menu and hit enter
The following Regional format settings have been confirmed to cause this issue:
- English (Sweden)
- English (Denmark)
- English (Netherlands)
- English (Switzerland)
- English (Germany)
- English (Europe)
Here are some examples that do work:
- English (United Kingdom)
- English (Belgium)
- English (United States)
- Dansk (Danmark)
To obtain the update to Windows 10:
- Open the Start menu
- Click the Settings gear
- Click Update & Security
- Click Check for Updates
If you are unable to install the update or attempting to fix the issue for Windows v1903, to get past this error you can:
- Open the Windows Start Menu and type "Region Settings", then hit enter (screenshot below)
- Change the Region Format to one of the known working regions included above and close the dialog.
- Run the installer and reboot if prompted.
- Change the region setting back to its original language.
- If there are different accounts on the computer, change the settings of the Administrator Account. Changing only the settings of other accounts may not fix the issue.