You need to use the Advanced Installer Settings option of running an executable after installation. Use the following steps:
- On the Installer Settings tab in Application Builder go to Advanced and select Run executable after installation.
- Enter Notepad.exe (or NOTEPAD.exe) as the Executable.
- Enter [INSTALLDIR]readme.txt in the Command Line Arguments field. The "readme" in this example should be replaced by the name of your file you are opening. This field is case sensitive, so type the name of your readme file exactly as it appears.
- Click OK.
- Add Notepad.exe and the readme.txt file as support files on the Source Files tab (in addition to adding your top level VI).
- Click Build to create the installer.
When you run the setup file for the installer, the readme.txt file will launch at the end of the installation. Note that the installer will not completely finish until the readme file is closed.
When attempting to open this installer on different Windows operating systems (i.e. Windows 7/8/10) than what it was originally created on, there may be compatibility issues with the Notepad.exe version that was included in the installer that needs to be accounted for.