How to Create Custom Cable to Replace NI 6534 With NI 6535I need to replace my PCI-6534 with PCIe-6535B. However, they have different connector and pinout. I do not want to use the NI cable, therefore I want to create a custom cable. How to do it?

Updated Oct 27, 2020



  • PCI-6534
  • PXI-6534
  • PCIe-6535
  • PXIe-6535
  • PXIe-6535B
  • PCIe-6535B
  • PCIe-6536
  • PXIe-6536
  • PCIe-6536B
  • PXIe-6536B

I need to replace my PCI-6534 with PCIe-6535B. However, they have different connector and pinout. 
I do not want to use the NI cable, therefore I want to create a custom cable. 
How to do it?

In order to create a custom cable, one side needs to be VHDCI 68-Position StraddleMount Cable Connector and the other side D-type 68-Position IDC-Type Connector (Female). 

The next step is to connect the right pins inside the custom cable. 
Based on the NI 6535 pinout and on the NI 6534 pinout, you will need to connect each signal to the correspond pin.
Example: P0.0 (Port 0 line 0) in the 6535 is pin number 65, while in the 6534, the same P0.0 is pin number 10.

We recommend you to create a shielded custom cable with twisted pairs. 
Some twisted pairs are optimized for signals through the use of positive (+) and negative (-) signal pairs.Other pairs may be twisted with a ground wire or drain wire. By adding twisted pairs electromagnetic interference, noise, and crosstalk can be reduced.

Additional Information

National Instruments recommends to use the SHC68-C68-D4 cable and 653X Cable Adapter.
The 653x Cable Adapter is used between the VHDCI cable and the SCSI test UUT.
For more information, please look at the related links.

Many NI shielded cable assemblies also feature twisted pairs for improved noise performance. Different shielded cables are recommended for different devices and applications, based on signal pairings and groupings, to give the best performance.