This error could be caused by an incompatibility with the computer's operating system version or due to other instances of SQL Server being installed on the computer.
The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, which is included in Datalogging and Supervisory Control (DSC) Module 2019, does not support Windows 10 versions earlier than version 1809. To resolve this issue, ensure that your Windows build is at least 1809 or download the LabVIEW 2019 DSC f1 patch.
To check what version of Windows 10 you have:
- Go to the Windows Start and search Winver.
- Run this command.
- There will be an About Windows popup that will have details on the version.
To upgrade the Windows 10 build version:
If the version is earlier than 1809, you can upgrade your Windows build by following the steps below:
- Go to the Windows Start and search Check for updates.
- Click on it to launch the Setting: Windows Update window.
- Update your Windows to the latest version, if possible.
In case you cannot upgrade your Windows version from 1809, due to corporate PC's unable to download updates:
- Verify that you have LabVIEW 2019 installed first.
- Install SQL SERVER 2019 Express.
- Download LabVIEW DSC Module 2019 as well as the LabVIEW 2019 DSC f1 patch. To review more information about the patch, please refer to its readme.
The LabVIEW 2019 DSC f1 patch will not work with the DSC Runtime 2019. If you want to install just the Runtime version, upgrade your Windows 10 build version or review if there are any old instances of SQL Server that could be interfering with the software installation as explained in the section below.
Old Instances of SQL Server
In some cases, a previous installation of SQL Server 2005 or 2008 could be preventing the DSC Module from installing correctly. This can occur if you had an older version of the DSC Module installed previously or if some other software installed SQL Server dependencies.
- Check the Windows Add or Remove Programs tool (Start menu>>Control Panel>>Programs and Features) to see what instances of Microsoft SQL Server you have installed on the computer.
- If you see that Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008 R2 is installed, determine if you have any non-NI software that relies on these components.
- If the answer to step 2 is no, you can follow the instructions from Microsoft to uninstall SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008. If you have trouble removing these components, contact Microsoft support for assistance.
- After these components are removed, restart your computer.
- Attempt to install the DSC Module again.