If you can't find DAQmx functions in LabVIEW or if you seem to be missing certain NI MAX functions that you should have after downloading NI-DAQmx, make sure that you have the following software packages installed by looking under the Software
tab in NI MAX as shown below:
- ADE Support provides Application Development Environment (ADE) Support for LabVIEW, LabWindows/CVI, and Measurement Studio. These can be specified during your installation of DAQmx on the Features page of the Setup:
- Device Drivers include drivers for all DAQmx compatible hardware supported under the specific version (details can be found on the download page)
- MAX Configuration provides functionality to work with DAQmx supported hardware in MAX (e.g. Test Panels, Connection Diagrams, Create Channels, etc.)
If you are missing any of these, you most likely have the wrong DAQmx driver type installed. As shown by the picture below, there are three types.
- NI-DAQmx x.x (called "Full" prior to 9.8). Includes Device drivers, MAX Configuration, and ADE Support
- NI-DAQmx Runtime x.x with Configuration Support. Includes Device drivers and MAX Configuration.
- Select this one to work with your hardware in NI MAX on a test machine, but still do not plan to do any development on the machine.
- NI-DAQmx Runtime x.x (called "Core" prior to 9.8). Includes only Device Drivers.
- This is primarily used as a minimal package for test machines running deployed applications that will not require any development or NI MAX configuration.
If you have these three drivers and cannot find DAQmx functions in LabVIEW, follow the steps listed in Can’t Find DAQmx Functions after LabVIEW or NI-DAQmx Install
. To find the specific driver type and version you need, use the NI-DAQmx Download page
. Make sure to install the NI software in the correct order