This content is not available in your preferred language.

The content is shown in another available language. Your browser may include features that can help translate the text.

Convert Between Named-User and Computer-Based Licenses in NI VLM

Updated Aug 28, 2018

Reported In


  • Volume License Manager

Issue Details

I would like to use a different type of license model structure than I currently have with my NI Volume License Agreement (VLA). How can I convert or switch between Named-User and Computer-Based Licenses in NI Volume License Manager (VLM)?


If you are the Software Administrator of your VLA Service Contract, email us at and request the change. Be sure to include your Service ID and Company Name in your message. You will be given a new license file with the combination of license models requested.

If you are not the Software Administrator of your VLA, speak with them and have them follow the above steps.

Additional Information

Once you have received a new license file consult the article How Do I Migrate Information Between Computer-Based and Named-User Licenses in Volume License Manager? for information on how to automatically convert permissions from one license model to another within NI Volume License Manager VLM.